top of page

Food Service

Food Establishments 

Setting up a Food Establishment in Michigan
This video answers commonly asked questions regarding the steps needed to be a licensed business
Submitting a Plan Review for a Food Establishment
This video walks you through the plan review process for opening a food establishment. 

Food Manager Certification

Many Michigan food establishments must employ at least one certified food manager.

These rules, as written, allow the Michigan Department of Agriculture & Rural Development (MDARD) to issue statewide variances. MDARD has issued statewide variances to the manager certification requirement for certain types of establishments.

Local health inspected establishments that must have a certified manager include:

  • All food service establishments (e.g., restaurants, bars, schools, hospitals, mobile food establishments, and special transitory food units) except:

    • vending machine locations

    • temporary food service establishments

Becoming Certified or Recertified

To be certified you must pass an ANSI/CFP nationally accredited exam once every 5 years. To prepare for the exam, most individuals take a class (in person or on-line) or self-study. Exams are proctored and must be taken either at an approved testing site or are given at the end of a course by an approved instructor.

Find a Certified Manager Course


Temporary Food Event License


Please follow these simple steps when becoming licensed for a Temporary Food Event.

Print & rev
iew the following documents listed below:

Complete the License Application and submit it to our office at least 30 days prior to your event to avoid additional fees. (Fees listed on Temporary Food Event Fee Form)

bottom of page